[wp-docs] Search Engines Grab Users

lorelle at cameraontheroad.com lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Wed Apr 20 13:47:17 GMT 2005

>>>Just for background.
>>>http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html

I understand Linus's Law as it relates to programming, which basically boils
down to the theory that many heads can solve many problems that one head
can't.  With documentation, people assume that what is in print is RIGHT,
whether it is 5 seconds old for 4000 years old....look at religion.  ;-)

This is why it is so important to have the information as close to right as
possible before released.  I'm not talking about missed spells or grammar or
even the farkled sentence structure that impossible sounds written
when....I'm talking about the power of the written word to be immortal.
This the little different from rumours and gossip.  Once said, it is
believed.  Once written, well, then it must be true.

I will be much more cautious about what I release in the future, which means
it will take a lot longer between releases of information related to
WordPress because I have to go find the correct information and research
things instead of putting it out there and asking someone to help me get it
right.

I just wish there was a better procedure for handling this process, like
I've mentioned before.  For instance, I know that Kaf is now the honcho
behind much of the template tags, so I can go to him and say "did I screw
this up or is it right", it takes a couple of minutes of both of our
time...sometimes...and then it can be released to the public with some
assurance that an expert checked out my claim and it was right.  But I have
no idea who is in charge of plugins, themes, developers stuff...none of
those areas where help might be needed.

Well, enough on this.  It's critically important for the survival of the
process to know who to turn to when and how to handle the release of
documentation, and this has to happen soon.