[wp-accessibility] Twenty Ten

Rich Pedley elfin at elfden.co.uk
Sun Sep 5 12:53:05 UTC 2010

This list is unused, we need to start using it!

Now I've made a start with looking at the accessibility of Twenty Ten,
starting with Links, well mainly.

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14782
[quote]

Starting off with changes to the CSS only.

Links: colors amended where necessary. added underscores and/or color
changes for active, hover and focus.

Gallery image links: adjusted things to use margin to center the image
rather than padding, to allow for adding highlighting on image links.

Skip link: now appears above the #access menu when tabbing through the
page.

Grey text/links: was 888 this just failed the color contrast, so
changed it to 777 throughout.

Forms: added highlight for input text and textarea, for active and focus.
[/quote]

Feel free to add comments there.

However I have an issue with the access (role: navigation) menu, which
can't be fixed with CSS alone, and is not just an accessibility issue,
but a usability issue.
To test and replicate download and use the test data via
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Unit_Test

You'll notice that the last link in the navigation is 'Parent Page',
hover over that, and then the 'Child page 1'. Unless you have a
widescreen the 'Child page 2' cannot be seen.

Is there a javascript solution for this?

Additionally of course because some of these pages are _only_
accessible via the menu, there should be an alternative listing
display on the main pages linked. However that may be outside the
scope of what we can cover (other than _strongly_ suggesting a widget
is available that can do this).

Rich