[wp-accessibility] WordPress Admin -- Interaction with Jaws

John Cocking j_cockin at uncg.edu
Tue Jun 29 13:41:08 UTC 2010

Hello,

I work at a university, where we're using WordPress (with multiple sites) to
help faculty support their courses. We have a single blind user, who relies
upon the Jaws screen reader to interact with his computer.

We are encountering two issues:

1) On the My Blogs page (my-sites.php in 3.0, or index.php?page=myblogs in
WPMU 2.9.2), it is impossible to distinguish between the "Visit" and
"Dashboard" links of his various sites, as they are not labeled, but are
instead informed by their placement on the page.

2) When editing a page (page.php?action=edit&post=XXX in 2.9.2), the modal
window/overlay created by clicking Add Media is not seen by Jaws, which
keeps its focus on the hidden bit of the page -- that bit covered by the
overlay.

What can I (or we) do to make the admin section a little more accessible?

Thanks,

JohnC