[wp-accessibility] Let's get started on improving WordPress accessibility

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 12:54:49 UTC 2009

2009/8/10 Alastair Campbell <alastc at gmail.com>

> The accessibility of an app like Wordpress is quite a wide ranging
> challenge, I guess it's best to pick areas and try and improve the
> core coding? I would struggle to find time to do a proper review (as
> Joe Clark did a few years ago
> (http://joeclark.org/access/webaccess/WordPress-ATAG-evaluation.html).
> The admin area and accessibility guidelines have moved on since then,
> so that probably isn't relevant anymore.

WordPress has moved on, and so has both the understanding of accessibility
and the guidelines themselves.

The three sets of guidelines we really need to focus on are:

ATAG (specifically the backend)  http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag;
WCAG 2 (both frontend and backend) http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag;
WAI-ARIA (again, applies to both frontend and backend)
http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/aria

Ironically, since Joe wrote that evaluation, WordPress has gone backwards in
some areas, despite making up a lot of ground in others.
It would be great to do a new evaluation against the current guidelines -
this could help provide focus for this group.

Lynne