[HyperDB] Any advantage to partitioning on a single database server?

Jim McQuillan jim at jimmcq.com
Thu Aug 26 20:26:30 UTC 2010

The number of files in a directory is exactly the reason I was thinking that
partitioning would be needed.  We're using MyISAM so that would be 3 files
per table, and if there are 50,000 blogs with 9 tables per blog that would
be 1,350,000 files in a single directory.

I'm no database or filesystem expert, but wouldn't that large number of
files be an issue?  Unfortunately it isn't easy way to "test" different
configurations before actually growing to that size, but we're looking to
set things up ahead of time to be prepared.

Thanks!
-Jim