[HyperDB] Partitioning wpmu data

Felix Gushansky felix.gushansky at internetbrands.com
Thu Apr 23 19:35:39 GMT 2009

Thanks, Callum and Andy - all good info. In terms of migrating existing
data, we may be in luck, as it may end up not being a problem. It seems
there are many (many!) one-record tables, which means folks signed up for a
blog but never really used it. We're debating cleaning it up by giving users
a 45-day use-it-or-loose-it notice. That we believe would drastically reduce
the existing dataset.

As for pattern matching, checking out the code, particularly
get_dataset_from_table, I see that if the exact table name is not found in
the table-dataset array, it then tries to match table name pattern in the
array with the table name being queried. I do not however understand the
significance of '/' == substr( $pattern, 0, 1 ) in the

if ( '/' == substr( $pattern, 0, 1 ) && preg_match( $pattern, $table ) )
                return $dataset;

statement. Why do we require a '/' to be the first character in the table
name in the array in order to try to pattern match it? And if '/' *is* the
first character then it and the remaining table name will be matched against
the table name being queried which normally would not have a '/' as its
first character.

Thanks, folks. Again, appreciate all your help.

-- Felix