[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #9221: [BP Legacy Template pack] A printf function is written incorrectly related to "mentions" count in src/bp-templates/bp-legacy/buddypress/activity/index.php

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 31 11:24:22 UTC 2024

#9221: [BP Legacy Template pack] A printf function is written incorrectly related
to "mentions" count in src/bp-templates/bp-
legacy/buddypress/activity/index.php
----------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  emaralive                               |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                            |      Status:  new

Comment (by emaralive):

 Replying to [comment:4 espellcaste]:
 > @emaralive Strange. I didn't need to override the template and could see
 it right away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 > I only selected the legacy template pack and Twenty Twenty-Four theme.

 @espellcaste yeah, that is really odd/strange and a bit disconcerting for
 a variety of reasons. I have 2 local sites running with the "Legacy"
 template site, however, both are running on the same server (linux debian
 based):
 * Twenty Eleven theme (indicated by the 1st screenshot)
 * Twenty Eleven with child theme (indicated by the 2nd screenshot)

 Changing themes (including to Twenty Twenty-Four) does not trigger any
 malfunction except when I override the index.php in a child theme and then
 the malfunction can be observed for PHP 7.4.33 and 8.0.30. I have another
 server that is linux centos based that I've not tried to see if a site on
 it would behave differently.

 However, when I utilize either "**wp shell**" or "**psy shell**" (WP CLI)
 and run the offending line (original 164) this triggers the errors (PHP
 7.4.33 & 8.0.30), which I did first without having to load up a website
 via a web browser, thus confirming there was an issue. Otherwise, I would
 have discovered this bug much earlier, like during the testing of various
 BP 12.0.0 releases; or, at least, I would think this would have been the
 case.

 If this is behavior for some (what I'm experiencing [linux debian based
 situation]) and not for others, does that explain a reason why this has
 not been detected since the release of BP 12.0.0? Or, it has occurred and
 nobody bothered to report it or what?. Perhaps, the sites that are using
 the **legacy** template haven't upgraded to greater than or equal to BP
 12. Or, they have upgraded and no user has used **!@mention**. I know of a
 site that uses the **legacy** template and I've used **!@mention** and
 nobody has reported an issue for this situation nor have I experienced
 this issue on this site, I believe the site admin has not upgraded BP past
 12 and could still be at the original BP version when the site was created
 (around 2019).

 Moving along, I just tested on my other server (linux centos based) and I
 get the error on one of the sites after I switched the template pack to
 legacy, after posting **!@mention** and refreshing the sitewide activity
 page. I then:

 * Rolled back to 11.4.2 - issue does not exist
 * Rolled forward to 12.0.0-beta1 - issue exists

 I don't know, but, perhaps, this speaks volumes regarding the testing
 protocols; meaning we don't seem to have any that are sufficient enough
 and they aren't documented, as of yet.

 Last but not least, I have another server scenario which is linux ubuntu
 based, I just need to reboot the server into ubuntu.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9221#comment:7>