[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #8625: Legacy widgets disappear in BuddyPress 10.0 even if the theme is using a legacy widget in a sidebar

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jan 29 12:39:03 UTC 2022

#8625: Legacy widgets disappear in BuddyPress 10.0 even if the theme is using a
legacy widget in a sidebar
------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  r-a-y                   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  new
Changes (by imath):

 * keywords:  dev-feedback => dev-feedback has-patch
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 10.1.0

Comment:

 Hi @r-a-y

 Thanks for your report. Too bad we were not able to predict this scenario.
 Correct me if I'm wrong to see the issue happen, this means you are using
 the new Widgets Block Editor, otherwise BP Legacy Widgets would have been
 loaded.

 So, if you are using the new Widgets Block Editor, you can now use the BP
 Widget Blocks we introduced in 9.0.0, simply by migrating the legacy one.

 The goal of deprecating BP Legacy Widgets is to avoid people who actually
 migrated to suffer from a bad user experience, see #8594 for more infos
 about this.

 That being said, I agree we shouldn't that rough. We can be nicer without
 compromise to me, is to carry on loading BP Legacy widgets that has been
 added to a sidebar (in other words: active).

 But I think we should carry on the deprecation process. Please test the
 8625.02.patch to confirm you can still load the BP legacy Widgets that are
 actives.

 About improving our documentation, I totally agree. We'll work on this
 during the next 4 to 6 months.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8625#comment:3>