[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #7938: Using the same activation key results in wrong "Invalid activation key" error

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 25 18:00:33 UTC 2018

#7938: Using the same activation key results in wrong "Invalid activation key"
error
 Reporter:  r-a-y         |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Members       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  needs-testing
 Reported here:
 https://buddypress.org/support/topic/invalid-activation-key-10/

 Original report follows:

 > So I’ve been plagued by this from users who either try and use their
 activation email again, or some that double click on the link. They all
 end up on the classic ‘Invalid activation key’ page.

 > Looking at the buddypress code I think there is a bug (feature?) that
 means that once an activation code is used once, it will never be able to
 be used again. This is despite there being code further on in this process
 to check this scenario and return an error of ‘The user is already
 active’. This code NEVER RUNS, because of the way the key is looked up in
 the database.

 > once an account is activated (active=1), the key can never be looked up
 again. Hence the error my users were getting.

 ----

 Forum thread also has code that attempts to address the issue.

 Sounds like a valid report, but needs verification and testing.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7938>