[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #7218: Only load component action and screen code when we're on the component's page

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 16 21:22:09 UTC 2018

#7218: Only load component action and screen code when we're on the component's
page
-----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  r-a-y            |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 > As I mentioned in my reply to Boone in point 2, I prefer my earlier idea
 to load all action and screen code when we're on the component page rather
 than the class-autoloading in the current patches. To me, that is the
 cleanest way of doing this within our current APIs instead of introducing
 all these new classes and files.

 Yes. After the back-and-forth on this ticket, I'm coming around to this.
 Basically, the trade-off is that late-loading of screen/action functions
 will introduce a small chance of backward compatibility breakage, for
 anyone who is manually calling (or hooking) a screen function in a non-
 standard place. However, in all my years doing weird things with
 BuddyPress, I have never even been tempted to do such a thing, so I think
 it's a reasonable risk.

 I see that the old patches have been removed from this ticket. So I've
 reconstructed what I think the `late_includes()` strategy looked like, and
 applied it to the Activity component. @r-a-y does this capture it more or
 less correctly? What do others think about returning to @r-a-y's original,
 simpler idea? (I feel like I brought on this whole debacle by making
 [comment:16 this comment], so mea culpa :( ) See attached patch.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7218#comment:55>