[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #7781: BP Nouveau: Group Create - empty Invites screen when the friends component is not active

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Apr 29 14:29:20 UTC 2018

#7781: BP Nouveau: Group Create - empty Invites screen when the friends component
is not active
--------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  imath         |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Templates     |    Version:
 Severity:  major         |   Keywords:  has-patch dev-feedback
--------------------------+------------------------------------
 The fix is pretty easy, but i guess the new `bp-nouveau/buddypress/groups
 /create-invites.php` template that brings back the old "need the friends
 component to be active" interface instead of using the Backbone based one
 is made on purpose.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/9YP28m4n0I.png)]]

 What do we want to do here ?

 Because today it's pretty dirty if the friends component is not active.
 There's an underscore.js error and no message informing about why this
 step is empty.

 Is there any trouble with allowing all site members invites here ?

 **If no**
 then let's apply the attached patch and remove this `bp-
 nouveau/buddypress/groups/create-invites.php` template to bring a
 consistent user experience as i saw the Backbone interface was available
 once the group was created from the invites screen. I must confess i'm a
 bit lost. I really don't understand why use a restrictive UI during the
 creation process, when once the group is created, i can use a non
 restrictive one ?

 **If yes**
 we should probably completely disable the invites create step and group
 invite screen when the friends component is not active. And remove the
 Backbone interface to only use he old "need the friends component to be
 active" interface everywhere.

 Because having 2 different interfaces for the same feature is imho not
 great for users, it's pretty confusing.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7781>