[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #7476: Deletion of user also deletes any groups that they created - without any Warning!

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 16 20:06:51 UTC 2017

#7476: Deletion of user also deletes any groups that they created - without any
Warning!
----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  shanebp         |       Owner:  slaFFik
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 The message in [attachment:7476.01.patch] seems better than nothing, but
 it kinda backs you into a corner: if you want to delete the user for
 legitimate reasons, but don't want to delete the groups, you have no
 recourse.

 In theory, a better option seems like a checkbox:

 {{{
 [x] Delete groups created by the user
 }}}

 which I suppose could be checked by default. But in order to make this
 work, we probably have to reassign someone else as the "creator" of those
 groups, because it's likely that various parts of BP will break if they
 have 0 members, or if `creator_id` is empty. So maybe, when the checkbox
 is unchecked, you'd see:

 {{{
 [ ] Delete groups created by the user
     <em>You will be reassigned as the administrator of the deleted user's
 groups</em>
 }}}

 If we go with this, we'd probably want to link to the groups in the
 confirmation screen, in case the admin then wants to go modify the auto-
 reassigned settings.

 I know this is a lot more complex, but it feels like a more generous
 strategy than a warning without recourse. Does anyone have thoughts, or
 better ideas?

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7476#comment:5>