[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #7317: Primary xprofile field "name" does not synch wiht WP profile field "first and lastname"

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 4 10:25:31 UTC 2016

#7317: Primary xprofile field "name" does not synch wiht WP profile field "first
and lastname"
------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  houdjiva          |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by DJPaul):

 This patch is a good fix for this problem, but let's add a comment linking
 back to this discussion or something.

 I might be interested in revisiting the slashed stuff next year. I am sure
 there is an existing ticket with my thoughts from a few years ago, but off
 the top of my head, I think the fix to all of that involves a huge amount
 of work, which I'd break down into these steps:

 1. Update all code to not store slashes, nor expect slashes in the output
 -- basically, making sure everything is done properly.
  * This'll involve changes to the low-level insert/update functions, as
 well as checking the input sanitisation everywhere, including removing
 lots we have hooked to filters.
  * The goal being everything working fine on a new install.
 1. Run the new code on an existing site's content, audit everything, fix
 backwards compatibility.
  * This'll probably involve hooking `stripslashes` to output filters, etc.

 There are likely complications around search/query fields. We may have to
 migrate certain tables' columns (strip the slashes and reinsert) to
 support things like this. The idea of migrating the slashes in the DB via
 an upgrade routine sounds pretty unscalable to do all the time, but maybe
 we could ship a WP-CLI tool or similar to do this.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7317#comment:8>