[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #787: All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some data types

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 28 20:16:23 UTC 2015

#787: All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some
data types
-------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  jeffsayre                |       Owner:  boonebgorges
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * milestone:  Future Release => 2.5

Comment:

 @LenLay @sooskriszta Thanks very much for the patch. The general approach
 looks good.

 I think we need to rethink naming. To my ears, `is_searchable` means "do
 the contents of this field appear in search results". See #4821 for a
 related discussion. More appropriate is `create_search_links` or something
 like that.

 >  Backward compatibility for when these were public methods.

 We don't need this for the new method.

 Let's have a wrapper function for checking `global $field; (bool)
 $field->is_searchable`. That way we can add a filter.

 The default settings seem good to me. If we have a filter, people can set
 it however they'd like programatically.

 The UI label description should have some info about the linking works for
 text fields. It's kinda hard to explain - chunks of text between commas,
 etc - so if anyone has suggestions, please jump in.

 Let's do it for 2.5.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/787#comment:23>