[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6734: `groups_get_groups()` doesn't distinguish between `0` and falsey values for `user_id`

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 23 18:32:30 UTC 2015

#6734: `groups_get_groups()` doesn't distinguish between `0` and falsey values for
`user_id`
 Reporter:  boonebgorges                         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 > Backwards compatibility here would be my main concern. I think we'd need
 to do some research in plugins and see what would happen if the change
 were made.

 Definitely. This is change not worth making if it's going to break
 anything significant. To be clear, it should be possible to write in such
 a way that full backward compatibility is maintained for the following
 uses of `groups_get_groups()`:

 {{{#!php
 groups_get_groups(); // default behavior remains
 groups_get_groups( array( 'user_id' => false ) ); // explicitly setting
 user_id to false
 }}}

 The only "breaking" change (or, I'd say, "fixing" change) is the following
 use:

 {{{#!php
 groups_get_groups( array( 'user_id' => 0 ) );
 }}}

 Currently, this results in all groups being returned; I'm suggesting it
 should result in no groups being returned. I'll look through the plugin
 repo to see how/whether `groups_get_groups()` is being used, but it'd be
 helpful to get a gut check from others - do we think that anyone is
 passing `0` as a user ID and *expecting* all groups?

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6734#comment:3>