[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6669: Blank notifications when using the bp_notifications_get_notifications_for_user filter hook

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 12 07:35:04 UTC 2015

#6669: Blank notifications when using the
bp_notifications_get_notifications_for_user filter hook
---------------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  henry.wright               |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)               |      Status:  closed

Comment (by likebtn):

 OK. Here is the hack we are using to make our custom filter work:

 {{{#!php
 <?php
 function likebtn_notifications_get_notifications_for_user($action,
 $item_id, $secondary_item_id, $total_items, $format = 'string')
 {
     global $wp_filter;

     $return = '';

     if (count($m) == 3) {
         // Do something here

         // We modify global wp_filter to call our bbPress wrapper function
         if
 (isset($wp_filter['bp_notifications_get_notifications_for_user'][10]['bbp_format_buddypress_notifications']))
 {
 $wp_filter['bp_notifications_get_notifications_for_user'][10]['bbp_format_buddypress_notifications']['function']
 = 'likebtn_bbp_format_buddypress_notifications';
         }

         return $return;
     }

     return $action;
 }
 // bbPres has a bug:
 // https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/return-value-in-
 bbp_format_buddypress_notifications/
 // https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6669
 // Filter must be called before corresponding bbPress filter
 add_filter('bp_notifications_get_notifications_for_user',
 'likebtn_notifications_get_notifications_for_user', 5, 5);

 // Wrapper for bbp_format_buddypress_notifications function as it is not
 returning $action
 function likebtn_bbp_format_buddypress_notifications($action, $item_id,
 $secondary_item_id, $total_items, $format = 'string')
 {
     $result = bbp_format_buddypress_notifications($action, $item_id,
 $secondary_item_id, $total_items, $format);
     if (!$result) {
         $result = $action;
     }
     return $result;