[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6107: Missing site titles for BP pages in Twenty Fifteen and new themes which add support to the new title-tag feature

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 6 14:19:40 UTC 2015

#6107: Missing site titles for BP pages in Twenty Fifteen and new themes which add
support to the new title-tag feature
------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  mercime           |       Owner:  hnla
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by hnla):

 Testing on WP 4.1.1, alternating themes between twentyfifteen &
 twentyfourteen for wp_title() & 'title-tag' implementations.

 Patch 6107.04  checks out to work as expected and is better for the
 simplification.

 The issue does remain with the necessary later priority though on the
 filter, this still acts to override anything a thirdparty plugin (Yoast)
 may have constructed and filtered in where BP component directories and
 single group/members are concerned.

 As I still see this as the concern in that BP is dictating how the title
 tag reads and preventing alternative choices I propose a revision in:

 Patch 6107.05

 I have added to the initial check for `bp_is_blog_page()`
 `bp_is_directory()` we then bail out and return $title allowing either WP
 to run the title tag string or thirdparty plugin.

 For single groups or single members we still run out constructed strings,
 these work well and are where we really need to do the work.

 It's a compromise in a sense, as our constructed strings for component
 directories are a little better than the WP version which is simply the
 page title, but anyone needing them to be better has the option of using
 Yoast or similar to beef them up.

 Yoast provides two approaches to managing title tag strings as global for
 post/pages tax etc or individually for a given page or post via a meta
 entry thus users can construct quite specific strings for say the Activity
 directory page.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6107#comment:28>