[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6107: Missing site titles for BP pages in Twenty Fifteen and new themes which add support to the new title-tag feature

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 6 10:23:47 UTC 2015

#6107: Missing site titles for BP pages in Twenty Fifteen and new themes which add
support to the new title-tag feature
------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  mercime           |       Owner:  hnla
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by imath):

 > That being said, just from a readability point of view: using argument
 overloading in bp_modify_page_title(), and using the same function for
 both filters, makes the logic a bit hard to follow. Could we convert to
 having two separate callbacks - one for 'wp_title' and one for
 'wp_title_parts' - and each would be a wrapper for the central logic of
 bp_modify_page_title()?

 My first idea was to stop using the 'wp_title' filter to let WordPress
 build the title for us using the 'wp_title_parts' filter instead, it
 appears it's not yet a good idea, because :
  1. 'wp_title_parts' was introduced in 4.0 and we support back to 3.6
  2. using a "mix" of both filters where we would use 'wp_title_parts' for
 the sites using WP > 4.0 , and eventually fallback to 'wp_title' for the
 sites using 3.6 < WP < 4.0, as @boonebgorges said, is confusing and hard
 to follow
  3. There are plugins that are filtering 'wp_title' without taking in
 account the filter BuddyPress is providing for its "pages" (in particular
 Yoast). This means our efforts to respect the WordPress way of building
 title using the 'wp_title_parts' filter would anyway & inevitably be
 cancelled by these plugins.

 So 6170.04.patch is simplifying everything as it carries on filtering
 'wp_title', changing the priority to '''20'''. I think we can act this
 late because we are taking care of checking the page that is loading is a
 BuddyPress page.

 I've tested it with twentyfifteen (which supports the title-tag feature) &
 twentytwelve (which is not supporting it and uses
 `twentytwelve_wp_title()` to filter 'wp_title') on WordPress trunk.
 Then i've switched to 4.0 branch and tested twentytwelve again.

 Patch seems to fix the issue and i have good hope, it will also be the
 case, when a plugin is filtering 'wp_title' before 20.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6107#comment:26>