[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #5328: Use of the WordPress HeartBeat API to check for newest activities and to let user load them

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 8 10:40:41 UTC 2014

#5328: Use of the WordPress HeartBeat API to check for newest activities and to
let user load them
-----------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  imath                  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  new

Comment (by imath):

 Replying to [comment:1 r-a-y]:
 > Sweet!  This will definitely be a great feature for 2.0.
 Thanks a lot r-a-y :)

 > * Instead of introducing a new static method
 (`BP_Activity_Activity::get_lastest_recorded()`)
 At the beginning that's what i've done, then i thought for a first draft i
 should do my stuff in a new one. But i agree.

 > * Instead of checking against the `date_recorded` column, would it be
 better to use the `id` column?
 it would be simplier than manipulating a timestamp, and would avoid some
 extra template tags for sure. The reason i've used date_recorded must be
 linked to the fact that i've started by using
 {{{BP_Activity_Activity::get_last_updated()}}} and after i thought that it
 could be interesting for a plugin to eventually get activities older than
 a certain date using the new filter.

 > * I'm surprised we don't have a `bp_is_activity_directory()` function!
 Should i create a separate ticket, it would be interesting to use it.
 Also, i need to explore a bit {{{bp_is_group_activity}}} because i think
 if group home page displays the activities, this function might return
 true instead of false.
 > We'll also need an option to disable the Heartbeat feature for sites
 that want to turn it off.
 I agree at 100% :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5328#comment:2>