[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #1269: Create a BP_Loop_Template base class that all template classes can inherit from

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 19 22:43:35 UTC 2014

#1269: Create a BP_Loop_Template base class that all template classes can inherit
from
------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  rvenable                |       Owner:  johnjamesjacoby
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by imath):

 Gave it a look today, there's a lot of loops, and some can use very
 specific logic.
 For instance :
 - getting the groups is using 3 different functions in case of invite /
 single groups / or groups
 - most of the queries are building an array lookings like this {{{array(
 'items' => $items, 'total' => $total ) }}}, most of the time the first
 argument is a plural form relating to the component eg: activities,
 groups, blogs, notifications, but members is not used in favor of users
 - while most of the loops are offering a consistent action when loop start
 and ends, notifications is specific eg: {{{do_action( 'group_loop_start'
 )}}}, {{{do_action( 'member_loop_start' )}}}, {{{do_action(
 'activity_loop_start' )}}} > not plural forms, but {{{do_action(
 'notifications_loop_start' )}}} > plural form

 I think we should progressively add core loops but offer plugin devs an
 abstract class they can use in their plugins. Then we will be able to
 iterate and improve it thanks to plugin devs feedbacks.

 1269.01.patch is a first example with the blogs component.
 I've first built unit tests before editing the {{{BP_Blogs_Template}}}
 class
 then tested it extending the {{{BP_Template_Loop}}} class

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1269#comment:11>