[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #4185: Calling groups_get_group() with a non-existent group id returns a BP_Groups_Group object populated with the provided ID

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 3 01:49:06 UTC 2013

#4185: Calling groups_get_group() with a non-existent group id returns a
BP_Groups_Group object populated with the provided ID
--------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  chriskeeble   |       Owner:

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 I don't think we should be returning `null` or `false`. `$foo = new
 BP_Groups_Group()` should return a `BP_Groups_Group` object, regardless of
 whether there's a corresponding group. See the behavior of `WP_Post` and
 `WP_User`. I'm willing to be persuaded that the wrapper function
 `groups_get_group()` ought to return `null` for non-existent group ids,
 but that's not the subject of this ticket: the OP was referring to plugins
 that are checking against `BP_Groups_Group` itself. Those plugins are
 simply doing it wrong.

 We should, however, probably be setting the `id` property to 0 in this
 case. I'm not persuaded that this'll really break much of anything - what
 is a scenario in which it's important for `BP_Groups_Group::id` to be set
 for a non-existent group? I'm just going to make the change, and we'll see
 if any plugins are doing anything strange during the beta period.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4185#comment:8>