[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #5130: Synchronizing activity comments to main component
noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 28 19:14:06 UTC 2013
#5130: Synchronizing activity comments to main component
Reporter: r-a-y | Owner: r-a-y
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: normal | Milestone: 1.9
Component: Core | Version: 1.2
Severity: normal | Resolution:
Comment (by r-a-y):
Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. Most of your feedback kind of
cancels each other out! :)
Anyway, here's my long-overdue update for this ticket.
'''Note:''' You'll probably want to test this with a new blog post.
Remember to go to "Settings > BuddyPress > Settings" and check "Allow
activity stream commenting on blog and forum posts".
What's new in 01b.patch:
* Synching blog post comments back to the main `'new_blog_post'` activity
entry as an activity comment is now working (two-way sync is complete)
* Disables activity replying to the `'new_blog_post'` activity entry (and
its activity comment children) if the WP blog post has closed comments off
(either manually or automatically)
* Activity comment permalinks now use the WP comment link instead of the
main activity permalink. Some caveats here with AJAX. See comments in
* Changing `bp_get_option()` to check the `buddypress()->site_options`
array first before querying with `get_blog_option()`. This allows me to
use `bp_disable_blogforum_comments()` again as intended. (Should probably
create a new ticket for this.)
What isn't done:
* Handling deletion for nested comments and its corresponding activity
* Still need to think of a decent strategy. I'm thinking of deleting
all WP comment children and all BP activity children instead of trying to
emulate WP's "move comments up a level" technique.
* Fixing activity comment permalink when posting via AJAX to use WP
comment permalink. This is fixed after AJAX posting (when you refresh the
page) though. A slight niggle.
* There is a lot of manual code that needs to be written if a plugin dev
wants to sync activity comments with their component.
* I want to extrapolate some of the code in
`bp_blogs_activity_comment_permalink()` into the API to make things a
little easier. But this means adding more activity code into the
`BP_Component` class... maybe it's a good time to start thinking about a
* Plugin devs will still have to probably write code to handle trash /
spam / ham routines when working with WP comments in their plugins.
* Synchronizing will only work for new entries. So people expecting their
older WP comments to show up under the `'new_blog_post'` activity entry
will be SOL.
* People will undoubtedly ask about supporting forum threads. I don't
want to do this for the legacy forums because `'bbpress_init'` is kind of
a killer, but we'll probably want to add support to bbPress 2.4.
I'll probably start breaking up the patch into smaller commits once the
deletion issue is handled.
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5130#comment:7>
More information about the buddypress-trac