[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #4119: An important missing group privacy level: Closed group with visible content.

buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com
Wed Apr 4 02:07:01 UTC 2012

#4119: An important missing group privacy level: Closed group with visible
content.
 Reporter:  dannyjimmy   |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Groups       |    Version:  1.5.4
 Severity:  major        |   Keywords:
 In my opinion, there is a very important group access option that is
 absent from the group setting. I’ll call this option “LIMITED”.

 {{{
 Access:    | Anyone can join | Anyone can see content | Anyone can see
 title |
 Public     |       YES       |         YES            |           YES

 LIMITED    |        no       |         YES            |           YES
 |(missing)
 Private    |        no       |          no            |           YES

 Hidden     |        no       |          no            |            no

 }}}

 It seems to me that the omission of this option is/was based on the
 assumption that as groups go, only people to allowed to freely join a
 group should need to be able to see that group’s discussions.

 I am sure that usually this assumption holds, but I can envision (and have
 encountered) a number of circumstances where this would not be the case,
 for example, support forums where only premium users can ask for help but
 where any user can read from existing threads. Or in my case, the client
 wants to have a "Donors-only" forum where only the organization's donors
 can discuss but anyone can view... it's the "broadcasted-town-hall-
 meeting" idea. Only important people talk, but everybody can listen in.

 Thanks,

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4119>