[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #2747: bp_has_* templatetag functions should not use $_REQUEST['s'] without further verification

buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Nov 19 14:38:25 UTC 2010

#2747: bp_has_* templatetag functions should not use $_REQUEST['s'] without
further verification
-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  calvin_42  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect     |      Status:  new
 Each bp_has_* templatetag function (like bp_has_groups or bp_has_members)
 has the kind of following line :

 {{{
 if ( isset( $_REQUEST['s'] ) && !empty( $_REQUEST['s'] ) )
                 $search_terms = $_REQUEST['s'];
 }}}

 IMHO I have to disagree with this kind of statement. Let's say on a
 website the groups of the current_user are listed on the sidebar using :

 {{{
 bp_has_groups( 'user_id=' . bp_loggedin_user_id() .
 '&slug=false&type=active' )
 }}}

 If an user search for a member 'smith', the URL will be
 '/members/?s=smith', and consequently, the groups displayed in the sidebar
 will only display the common groups between the current user and the users
 matching the name 'smith'.

 $search_terms will be in any case overrided by the code, even if I set the
 value.

 I haven't worked yet on the patch but I wanted first to have a feedback
 about this problem.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/2747>