[buddypress-dev] JIT Inclusions

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Tue May 5 15:36:52 GMT 2009

On 5-May-09, at 4:20 PM, Austin Matzko wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Andy Peatling
> <andypeatling at automattic.com> wrote:
>>
>> What I think needs to happen is this JIT idea, where a file that
>> contains
>> code that is needed for a function is only included right before it
>> is
>> *actually* needed.
>
> I'm skeptical that this would be of any performance benefit on the
> kind of server most likely to host BuddyPress: something with opcode
> caching and a decent amount of memory. Especially with a good number
> of users, in which case the net result will be the same of loading all
> the components into memory, but a result the server arrives at less
> efficiently.

As much as many sites heavily using BuddyPress will use a finely tuned
server setup, I'd like BuddyPress to be as accessible as possible.

BP will be launching for standard WP in the near future and I'd like
it to work under reasonable load on shared servers. The memory limits
on those servers will be far more strict and will not make use of
caching or have ample memory.

---------
Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
http://apeatling.wordpress.com