[buddypress-dev] Adding items to home base dashboard with BP

phlux0r phlux0r at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:15:06 GMT 2008

Hi Andy,

for my current project, I need to give members the option to specify an
external blog if they have one and my client's requirements are that
their external blog is integrated into the site in terms of latest posts
etc. which I plan on grabbing from the blog's RSS feed. Now, I'm looking
for the best way to implement the administration of this field.

One idea is to use the normal BuddyPress profile fields but then it
would be difficult to create some custom logic around the admin of that
as I want to provide a button to discover the RSS feed and verify it etc.

The other idea is to write a custom plugin that provides a menu item on
the Home Base dashboard called "External Blog" and do all my custom
stuff there which would be perfect. Now, I see that buddypress hijacks
the normal WP dashboard rendering and does it's own thing so the
question is, how can I hook into that and add my own menu item and code
the actions for it? Can I still use the add_menu_page() function for
this or do I have to do something else?

Thanks,
Robert