[buddypress-dev] Buddypress theme in IE

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Thu Sep 18 03:54:09 GMT 2008

On 17-Sep-08, at 3:06 PM, phlux0r wrote:

> Hi, I've noticed that the buddypress theme has some issues when
> viewed in IE. Especially IE6 but also IE7. The profile column is
> very narrow and in IE6 there is a big gap between the Basic Profile
> title bar and the basic profile info... Of course, the drop-downs
> don't work in IE6 (I assume they need the hover fix added). I'll fix
> this if it isn't fixed by the time I get to that part of my project
> (next week probably).

I've done zero browser testing on the theme other than Firefox, so no
doubt it will be a mangled mess in IE. If you feel like giving the CSS
a polish, please do.

> Also, I'm assuming that it will be possible to create custom
> buddypress themes once the api is stable?

Yes, you can do it right now if you only modify the CSS. Once all of
the template files are added (still need templates for activity,
status updates and the photo gallery) you can even change any of the
HTML, as long as you keep the ID's consistent.

> I'm not sure if the approach with the admin bar being in the bp-core
> is conducive to separating presentation from code. Maybe this could
> be moved to the theme's function.php file or made into a separate
> plugin/component?

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on this one. Personally I think the
bar should be there by default (with a site admin option to switch it
off). The idea is that it will be there no matter what blog theme or
page you are viewing. It keeps a consistent way to get back to
BuddyPress features. If you remove the bar, there is no way of quickly
getting back to your own profile or any other BuddyPress screen.

> I assume that this is due to the early stage in BuddyPress
> development and that it will be dealt with at some point :).

It's more that it's further down the list. My priority at the moment
is to get the first version of all the components out there (possibly
apart from the gallery stuff). Then go back through sharpen up all
these parts.

> My concerns are that I'm trying to find a way to manage frequent
> Buddypres updates in the context of my project where I do need to
> customise at least the theme's CSS styles and logos. It would be
> great if there was a provision made soon to enable custom buddypress
> themes to be installed.

Honestly, if you create a custom CSS file, @import() that at the top
of the style.css and make your modifications, you will have no
problems. You can just drop your customizations back in every time you
update the theme.

Cheers
Andy

---------
Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
http://apeatling.wordpress.com