[buddypress-dev] Updates

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Tue Sep 9 19:11:33 GMT 2008

On 6-Sep-08, at 8:27 PM, phlux0r wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> all this sounds great, just what I was looking for in the start.
> Now, will it be straightforward to update an existing BP install
> with the new stuff or is it likely to cause problems?

Likely to cause problems. There is no way around this as it's a fairly
significant change to the underlying architecture. You could get
around it by manually adding usermeta to the DB. You'd need to add
this metadata for each user:

user_id: the user id
metakey: home_base
metavalue: the blog id of the blog to make the home base.

> Also, I've been delving deeper into my current project and one of my
> client's requests was to have a Members listing page where the
> display would include: Avatar, Name, City, Country, an excerpt from
> and "About Me" field and the person's blogs. Also, the list needs to
> be sortable by name, city, country and searchable by name. This was
> a bit of a challenge to implement as the profile fields are set up
> the way they are in the bp_xprofile_* tables. I ended up loading the
> data into an array and performing the sorting etc in php which isn't
> so optimal. I'm concerned that there could be performance issues in
> a production environment with this solution.

Definitely interested to hear possible solutions to this. Perhaps
there is a better way to structure the DB tables for the xprofile
component? I'll have a look into ways we can make this easier.
Suggestions from any developers on the list would be awesome.

> This brings me to the question whether the BP team has been
> considering issues such as this? Is there any way to make it easy to
> handle lists of members (and blogs) with the extra profile info?

As the home theme (which will be the place for member lists/blog lists/
aggregated content) hasn't been built yet, no. Once we get to that,
then these issues will be addressed and we'll build functions to make
this easy.

Cheers
Andy