[buddypress-dev] Privacy component

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Tue Apr 15 23:22:16 GMT 2008

On 14-Apr-08, at 6:17 PM, Isaac Chapman wrote:
> I was initially trying to propose a single privacy framework that
> could be added to a base BP installation which could potentially cover
> any arbitrary content, but at this point I think the profile component
> should have its own distinct privacy framework built in.  As profile
> data is user based, it could be displayed on a user's base/initial BP
> blog, additional blogs the user has created, or even on group blogs,
> and I think the user's profile privacy settings should be enforced
> across all of these potential blogs.

I had it in my head that all privacy controls would be handled through
one *required* BuddyPress privacy component.

Based on using tags to define privacy levels on any content, I don't
see what we can't make this happen? We can carry across these privacy
settings on all blogs the user owns / can post on.

> I still think it is worthwhile to create an add-on BP component that
> could secure/privatize content on a Post, Page, and potentially Link
> level basis. Something like the attached mock up for Posts and Pages.

This is very similar to what I had in my head, where "BP Dev Group" or
"Example Group" are tags with defined privacy settings. If a user is
not interested in fine grained privacy control, they can just select
"Public" or "Only My Friends".

Andy