[buddypress-dev] Buddy Press Has to Run on MU?

Chris Taylor - stillbreathing.co.uk chris at stillbreathing.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 19:50:53 GMT 2008

Hi Matt,

Actually, I'm not sure you're right. While most of the BP features can
be used between multiple users irrespective of whether they have blogs
or not (i.e. multiple users in a normal WP installation) they'd only
make sense if the users have a separate public profiles.

Here's an example using the friends feature. In an MU install we'd
have user1.domain.com and user2.domain.com, and we'd be able to tell
they were friends as it would say so on their profiles. In a normal WP
install there would just be one address for the blog, so nowhere to
say multiple people are friends. That could be done within the admin
area, but to me that misses the point somewhat.

Plus the features as they stand need the site admin section to be
configured (although that could be changed, of course).

Of course there could be certain features of BP that could be used in
a standalone version of Wordpress, but that would need a little more
thought.

Chris