[buddypress-dev] Re: Re: test drive buddy press

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Wed Apr 9 20:12:59 GMT 2008

On 9-Apr-08, at 9:40 AM, Dr. Mike Wendell wrote:
>> Multiple blogs is going to be an issue with BuddyPress. In fact, the
>> plan right now is to limit one user to one blog. With BuddyPress, the
>> administration area represents the person, and not the blog. This
>> causes a problem when administering multiple blogs. Which admin area
>> would you go to to check your messages or add a new photo?
>
> While I see the reason for this, I'm concerned about being able to
> drop buddypress into already existing mu installs.  I know one on
> install that I host, there's a great deal of users who have access to
> multiple blogs as either admins or authors.  Have to admit that this
> will be a show stopper for us and I think a number of other folks.
> I'm rather surprised no one else has spoken up about this.
>
> Will there be any attempt to allow multiple blogs where they already
> exist?

I've been chatting with Chris a lot about exactly this. I'm going to
spend the
next couple of days and see if it is feasible to support multiple
blogs right now.

We had two ideas, one fairly easy, one much harder:

1. Make use of the existing blog switcher. Make sure that the primary
blog ID
is tracked so that BuddyPress components only appear on the user's own
admin
area. Other blogs the user has access to would just contain the
necessary blog
tabs.

2. Provide a blog switcher via the blog tab. When a user clicks on the
blog tab
they are presented with a list of the blogs they belong to. They can
select one
and then continue to carry out actions for that blog. Users with just
one blog
would never see this. Right now, I'm not sure this is even possible
within a
plugin. It would however mean you'd never have to leave your own
personal admin
area.

I'll keep everyone updated on how this progresses.

Andy