[buddypress-dev] info portability- theme options - friend's feeds - urls

Andy Peatling andypeatling at automattic.com
Mon Apr 7 17:19:41 GMT 2008

On 7-Apr-08, at 4:40 AM, Chris Taylor - stillbreathing.co.uk wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Wow, loads of thoughts. Here's a few off-the-top-of-my-head comments:
>
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Steve Bryan <djsteve007 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> Recent friend activity could show a few items on the dashboard,
>> with a
>> second dashboard page showing more recent items with more friends.
>> It would
>> be nice to choose which items to keep an eye on with different
>> friends -
>> some you may want to know about new pics, some you may want to ignore
>> bulletins and blog posts. I sure wish I could ignore one of my
>> friends
>> bulletin feeds on myspace.
>
> Yes, the only problem is going to be the "privacy matrix" this
> requires. We want to keep Buddypress as simple to use as Wordpress so
> the technical barrier for entry is still low. Th current thinking is
> that there will be different levels of administration, so maybe this
> "I want to see this kind of update from this person, and that kind of
> update from that person" could be in a power user area. It would be
> pretty useful.

This is a consideration definitely. We need to concentrate on getting
the basic features out there to begin with, then nailing down more
finely grained customizations once there is a solid base.

>> Has there been any testing / consideration about urls? I know some
>> plugins
>> have had issues with sublog.wpmuinstall.com as opposed to
>> wpmuinstall.com/sublog. I think a lot of users out there are use to
>> http://myspace.com/mypage - and I have seen some issues out there
>> with doing
>> it that way. I'd like to launch one that way. my other wpmu's are
>> the other
>> way for now.
>
> Maybe Andy has something to say on this, but as far as I know
> Buddypress will work with both URI types.

I'm only testing on subdomain.domain.com at the moment, but there is no
reason BuddyPress this shouldn't work on both.

>> I am VERY glad that the thinking has evolved to include multiple
>> theme
>> options - will there be a wiki or something for documenting the
>> theme tags?
>> I am very interested in this area - will help with documentation to
>> whatever
>> degree I can be helpful, and will be doing what I can to develop
>> theme
>> options from what i have on the drawing board.
>
> Help with documentation would be great, you might like to contact
> Andrea about that (I think she's the one with the gold-plated pen).

Awesome!

>> Of course it should be an option for admins if they want to have
>> multiple
>> themes available to end users or not. We should also have the
>> ability to
>> offer a paid feature for premium members to have more themes or
>> different
>> themes.
>
> Well, it's not up to me to discuss premium anything, but we will
> definitely be giving site admins these options. After all, it's part
> of WPMU already.

Like Matt mentioned earlier, this will either be a plugin to disable/
enable
this feature, or we will make it an admin option.

>> Would it make sense to have two checkboxes next tot he user(author)
>> fields
>> that users could select for exporting information? Like a checkbox
>> to export
>> to friends or export off site. This way you could create an rss
>> feed(?) of
>> your own user details that could be sucked in by another wordpress
>> install
>> or open id kind of thing? If so I could check off my username,
>> nickname,
>> birthday and bio information as exportable off site, but keep my
>> AIM id on
>> site only, or friends only. We could also have a check box to include
>> booklists or bookmarks (or sub bookmarks (which could include urls of
>> friends for friends lists) - if this created a custom rss url it
>> could be
>> shared that way...
>
> With the aim of keeping things simple, it may be best to start with
> privacy setting such as "Family, Friends, Group members, Site, Global"
> which will map with your suggestion. What level of detail we go to
> depends on what Andy wants to do with his XProfile feature (but as
> different profile information is grouped it might be possible to set
> privacy levels at a per-profile-data-group level)

We'll be starting with grouped privacy settings as Chris mentioned. We
don't
want to overcomplicate to begin with. No reason why this couldn't be
handled in
the future though. Someone may even write a plugin.

Andy

---------
Andy Peatling | Social Engineer | Automattic
http://andyinlife.com