[wp-xmlrpc] Help with the XML-RPC API - Managing Posts

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Tue Jun 15 17:52:15 UTC 2010

Hi Tim - conceptually you have to understand that historically as new APIs have been added, the teams responsible for adding them have built upon a previous API, but named their new APIs to make it clear they are not part of the previous API "standard" (loosest possible sense).

So every API implemented by WordPress is a rough superset of the previous API, in order from oldest to newest:

Blogger -> MetaWeblog -> Movable Type -> WordPress

Typically as a client you would want to use the API method that works for you, and is farthest to the right in the order above.

It's definitely confusing and a mess, but it always has been and cleaning it up now might just make things worse :)

Daniel