[wp-xmlrpc] Decoupling xmlrpc endpoint from Wordpress installation

Luke Mackenzie luke at lukem.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 14:26:38 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm working on a Wordpress MU install (2.9.2) and have developed some custom XMLRPC methods which are working fine. However, we're in a situation where the XMLRPC endpoint is serving live clients (flash kiosks) and the actual wordpress website is not yet live so is still being developed (theme development, new /updated plugins etc). Updates to the live server (templates, new custom fields, people adding new content) are occasionally causing instabilities with the flash kiosks (the flash is expecting a custom field to exist, for example, and someone has removed it from the authoring interface or someone adds content with a vital image missing).

Can anyone suggest a strategy for decoupling the XMLRPC interface from the live site? Would this need database replication or something similar? Maybe we could have an additional blog which only serves the kiosks and replicate data to that at 24 hour intervals?

Many thanks,

Luke.