[wp-xmlrpc] popular ruby XML-RPC app?

Joseph Scott joseph at josephscott.org
Fri Apr 16 22:39:40 UTC 2010

We track various stats on WordPress.com, one of them is the number new
posts that come in via XML-RPC.  I like going one step deeper and
looking at which clients are the most popular.  I'm doing this based
on the user-agent string provided, which is fine for most situations.
I'm noticing that we have some clients (reasonably popular ones) that
aren't setting unique user-agent strings though.  For instance:

    XMLRPC::Client (Ruby 1.8.7)

is a fairly popular one, but I have no idea what app/script/service
(or combination) this is from.  Obviously it's using a Ruby XML-RPC
library, but the app isn't setting a custom user-agent so I can't tell
what it is.

Here's another one:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1)
Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1

I'd assume that this is a firefox extension app, but again it doesn't
provide any unique data in the user-agent string.

If you the author of one of these please consider adding some unique
text to your user-agent string.  Feel free to drop me an email if you
have any questions.

And if you are the author of an XML-RPC/AtomPub client and just want
to confirm that you're on my list of clients to track on WordPress.com
I'm happy to hear from you as well :-)

Thanks.

--
Joseph Scott