[wp-xmlrpc] Custom fields

Brandon Turner bturner at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 16 17:46:54 UTC 2009

I recently made a plugin for Windows Live Writer that lets users attach custom fields to their post.  Now I have few questions for anyone that is more familiar with custom fields then myself.

1)      Wordpress.com doesn't allow you add / edit / delete from the web interface, is there any reason to allow wordpress.com users to custom fields through the plugin?  I can't think of any unless it is possible to buy a premium theme that uses custom fields, is that even possible?

2)      There appears to be some special custom fields like _pingme, _searchme, _encloseme.  Is it common practice to filter out these from the UI?  It doesn't appear you can edit these custom fields from inside of the web admin panel.

3)      Is there a way to get all the custom fields the user has set in the past other than calling a bunch of metaWeblog.getPost?  I looked through all the documentation and didn't see anything, just want to make sure that I didn't miss anything.

-Brandon