[wp-xmlrpc] Any interest in OAuth?

Allan Odgaard m123ixd02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jun 14 11:38:46 GMT 2008

On 13 Jun 2008, at 19:53, Joseph Scott wrote:

> I'm curious to see if there's any interest in seeing OAuth ( http://oauth.net/
>  ) support in WordPress, specifically in the area of XML-RPC.  If we
> made this available would any of the existing blog clients out there
> support it?

Why would a blog client support this?

You already have an authentication system which supports multiple
users with roles and access levels. It seems to me that if a third
party wants to perform a privileged operation on the blog (say, post
to it), a user with the proper restrictions should be created (if this
third party cannot be trusted with the main users login).

If we equate an OAuth security token with a WP user (which makes sense
so you don’t have two parallel privilege systems) then the OAuth
protocol is simply used as a way for third parties to create
(restricted) users. How often would that be used?

Maybe I am missing something here…