[wp-xmlrpc] wrapping faultstring value with CDATA

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Mon Jan 14 17:36:44 GMT 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Joe Cheng wrote:

> If you do that, then there's no reason to worry about CDATA.
>
> As a side note, I've noticed that PHP emits warnings directly to
> the response stream, and this even applies to XML-RPC requests
> which obviously results in malformed XML (as the warnings generally
> happen before the XML payload begins). I've seen this in a few user
> logs for Windows Live Writer, although I can't remember at the
> moment what the actual warnings were for. This isn't too much of a
> problem for us as usually the warnings are fatal anyway, so we're
> just swapping whatever the real error message is for our generic
> "malformed response" error. But something for you to be aware of
> nonetheless.

I've seen that before too.  In PHP there are different options for
how handled/displayed.  In general WordPress tries to have PHP not
show warnings/errors for exactly these sorts of reasons.  There is
nothing stopping an admin from enabling PHP warnings/errors from
being shown in the return data, which is what you are probably seeing.

You should never see this for WordPress.com blogs because we
specifically turn that off.

--
Joseph Scott
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/