[wp-xmlrpc] Wordpress version from xmlrpc?

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Mon Jan 14 17:29:58 GMT 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 10:12 AM, Joe Cheng wrote:

> So far we've only been interested in the distinction between 2.1.x
> and earlier, and 2.2 and later. We just look at whether WP API is
> supported to tell us that. I'm sure it's only a matter of time though.

WLW is a little bit different in this regard because you also have
the wlwmanifest.xml, which we used to turn on mt_keywords support,
which didn't show up in WP until 2.3.

> If folks are legitimately worried about exposing the WP version,
> then that's a good argument for keeping it behind authenticated XML-
> RPC calls.

Keeping it behind an auth'd call was going to be my strategy for
short circuiting those that were concerned about exposing a version
number :-)

I realize that it one more step (or more) clients would have to make
in order to gather details about a blogs features.  What if we
cheated a little bit here.  Carlos Moffat asked about having the time
zone offset that is set in the WP options being exposed.  Since it
would be rather a waste to have an entire method just for that, I was
thinking of adding a more general wp.getBlogOptions() method.  Such a
method would take an array of strings, where each string was a blog
option that the client wanted to have a value for.  The method would
then return a struct, with the key as the option string (same as the
one provided in the array).  We could make the versioning details be
part of that by considering it a blog option.

Something like this:

wp.getBlogOptions(
	blog_id,
	username,
	password,
	array('blogname', 'blogdescription', 'gmt_offset', 'xmlrpc_version',
'blog_version')
)

which would return:

{
	'blogname': 'My Cool Blog',
	'blogdescription': 'Just another WordPress weblog',
	'gmt_offset': -7,
	'xmlrpc_version': 12345,
	'blog_version': '2.4-bleeding'
}

In order for something like that to work we'd have to firm up the
exact option string values and such of course.

--
Joseph Scott
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com/