[wp-xmlrpc] Dropping in

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Tue Oct 2 18:11:22 GMT 2007

Joseph Scott wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Dougal Campbell wrote:
>
>>> Having your input would be terrific!  Some of the historical "whys"
>>> have been bit difficult to figure out.
>>>

>> Most of the time, the answer is probably, "because that's what
>> worked." ;)
>

> Hehe.  I've discovered that at this point many WordPress clients have
> worked around some of the oddities in the API.

I don't remember any specifics off the top of my head, but I do recall
some early testing with Ecto caused me to make some changes. Basically,
Ecto was making some API calls that seemed redundant to me. When I asked
the author about it, he said that he had to do it that way due to the
way that Moveable Type servers actually handled things.

Again, I don't remember the specifics, but you'd probably scratch your
head like I did if you watched the traffic generated by Ecto. I think it
went something like "save the post with publish=false; set categories;
publish post". Whereas, I normally considered this to be a one step
process that could all be handled with just metaWeblog.newPost(),
because that struct can carry category info.

Here's a post on that topic, from the MT point of view:

  http://www.jayallen.org/journey/2003/10/tip_xmlrpc_and_movable_type

I don't recall if this actually caused any problems on the WP end of
things in the early code, but I do know that I thought that the Ecto
author had lost his mind, until he explained that this was how it had to
be done for MT :)

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/