[wp-xmlrpc] WP 2.2.1 breaks Ruby 1.8.2

Joe Cheng Joe.Cheng at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 26 16:54:58 GMT 2007

> My point? NONE of these systems uses an unadorned GMT-based time as
> their default time representation. Is it a major bug? Yes, perhaps.

This is why MetaWeblog just needs to die. For all its warts, Atom
Publishing Protocol is at least a well-written specification that
doesn't leave implementers guessing about basic, critical stuff like
time zones.

Either that or a quorum of the blog client and server implementers
need to band together and create a profile that removes the ambiguity
from MetaWeblog. I personally would be happy to contribute to that
effort if others agree it is a good idea.

The alternative is more no-win arguments like this one. Allan is
correct in saying that using any kind of non-UTC timezone without any
offset indicator is pretty broken (especially when the date provided
when posting is interpreted as UTC). Daniel is correct in saying that
existing clients will break if the behavior changes. Being a client
implementer myself, I sympathize somewhat with Daniel, but at least
Allan's approach leads to somewhere actually sane/stable in the long-
term, even if there is some immediate pain. What all the servers are
doing today makes NO sense (that's why Windows Live Writer doesn't
bother to parse dates from getPost/getRecentPosts--there's nothing
sensible we can do with those dates).