[wp-xmlrpc] WP 2.2.1 breaks Ruby 1.8.2

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Tue Jun 26 14:52:58 GMT 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 10:41 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>> If this reversion of behavior is done, it's only fair that it
>> reverts all the way to pre2.2 behavior, where the date was sent in
>> the time zone of the *blog* and not GMT.
>
> Not sure why you would push for such a change.
>
> Do we agree that with such behavior, the user will need to
> explicitly configure his client with the time zone of his blog?
>
> It seems like a terrible idea to introduce such configuration step.

I'm not pushing for a change - I'm pushing (sort of) for "the way
things used to be." If we're going to make the effort of reverting
back to a "non-breaking" behavior, then I propose we go all the way
back to pre2.2 (a behavior that will match the functionality for many
people who have yet to upgrade to 2.2 and are doing so gradually over
time).

Of course the current "Z" behavior is working fine for me so I'm also
happy with sticking it out, but if we're going to selectively revert
changes then I suggest it's not fair that WordPress changes now to fix
PHP but to break MarsEdit (and possibly other clients).

The timeline here:

Pre2.2: Everything was "fine" for some definition of "fine." Probably
things should be evolved but slowly and in a way that clients can
adapt to.

2.2: Times switched to implicit GMT, throwing off the time
expectations of MarsEdit (and probably other clients).

2.2.1: Times switched to explicit GMT, throwing off the parsers in
Ruby (and probably other clients).

While you seem to be suggesting that the solution is to go back to
2.2, I'm suggesting the solution is either to go back to Pre2.2, or
come up with a more ingenious solution.

Daniel