[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41857: Walker_PageDropdown doesn't set correct selected value when using value_field

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 22 16:55:25 UTC 2020

#41857: Walker_PageDropdown doesn't set correct selected value when using
value_field
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  it4life            |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new

Comment (by soupia18):

 I arrived here because of this issue, as the wp_dropdown_pages cannot set
 selected when value_field is other than the ID.

 After reading the discussion above, about the possibility of using fields
 with non-unique values, then there are 2 options here:

 Either, the value_field makes no real sense to exist as an option, or
 since it's there, then it should give the freedom to the developer to
 decide how to use it: I mean with what field as default value. In that
 case something like below would do the job:

 {{{
 if ( $page->{$args['value_field']} == $args['selected'] ) {
         $output .= ' selected="selected"';
 }

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41857#comment:5>