[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50694: Impossible to add user to network site when username / email are both emails and different values

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 18 16:03:14 UTC 2020

#50694: Impossible to add user to network site when username / email are both
emails and different values
---------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  elrae                      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)               |     Status:  new
Component:  Networks and Sites         |    Version:
 Severity:  normal                     |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration, multisite  |
---------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 If you have a network site and create a user where the username is an
 email address (myemail at example.com) and your email address is different
 (otheremail at differentdomain.com) you cannot add a user to the network
 site. Under the Add Existing User section it will find the user you're
 trying to add and autofill it, but when you try to actually add it, it
 tells you it's not a valid user.

 Steps to reproduce:
 - Create a network site
 - Add a new user where their username is one email address and the email
 address is a different one
 - Add a new network site under your main one
 - Try to add your user to that newly created main one

 I ran into this issue because I created some users initially using their
 email address as a username, and then their email address changed. We
 can't change username so the only thing I could do was update their email
 on their account which I did. Then this bug popped up.