[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48894: Improve the small user sub window at the right corner on the admin bar a.k.a. the Howdy fly-out

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 8 00:53:09 UTC 2020

#48894: Improve the small user sub window at the right corner on the admin bar
a.k.a. the Howdy fly-out
 Reporter:  ixkaito                  |       Owner:  afercia
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-refresh          |  javascript

Comment (by isabel_brison):

 > I still see two keydown events, thus the page scrolls down when pressing
 the Spacebar key on a top level item

 There's a keyup event that handles toggling menus with Space, and a
 keydown event that I've now edited to only prevent default for the Space
 key, since it's not necessary to handle Enter. The reason it wasn't
 working before was I'd forgotten to add the parentheses on
 `event.preventDefault` :)
 I didn't move the `preventDefault` to the Escape key handler because that
 one's attached to all menu items, so it would require extra logic in order
 to not break the Space key on input fields (such as the one in View As >
 Capabilities > filter). I guess we ''could'' do it that way, but the code
 would be much messier.

 > the View Admin As sub-items don't work any longer:

 They do work: they now open on click instead of hover. They ''don't'' open
 on Enter because they're not focusable, but that's an existing issue with
 the plugin; it didn't open on Enter before these changes either.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48894#comment:70>