[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49151: Show a warning for plugins in WP admin that haven't received updates in a long time

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 7 00:58:37 UTC 2020

#49151: Show a warning for plugins in WP admin that haven't received updates in a
long time
 Reporter:  vincenthasselgard        |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  accepted
  patch                              |  ui-copy

Comment (by elrae):

 @stuffradio - I didn't have enough time earlier to investigate fully but
 have had some more time to look into this. We can leverage the plugins_api
 function to help reduce the amount of code you've written. A few more
 pointers on the code:

 add `include_once ABSPATH . 'wp-admin/includes/plugin-install.php'; // For
 plugins_api().` above line 830. This will let us use the plugins_api
 function.

 Then later in the foreach loop we could do something like

 `$plugin_slug = explode( '/', $plugin_path );
                         $plugin_info = plugins_api('plugin_information',
 array('slug' => $plugin_slug[0]));`

 and that will expose $plugin_info->last_updated which we can use to output
 the last updated.

 I'm not sure if we need the `&& ! array_key_exists( $plugin_path,
 $plugin_updates )` restriction on the display, that's just basically
 saying if there is a plugin update then don't display the last time it was
 updated. But just because you have a plugin update available doesn't mean
 the update that is available is new, so I think we should remove that.

 We may also want to include this check in the MU plugins section, since an
 MU plugin could be one from the repo and plugins can tap into the
 plugins_api to add their info.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49151#comment:27>