[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48894: Improve the small user sub window at the right corner on the admin bar a.k.a. the Howdy fly-out

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 3 11:29:40 UTC 2020

#48894: Improve the small user sub window at the right corner on the admin bar
a.k.a. the Howdy fly-out
 Reporter:  ixkaito                  |       Owner:  afercia
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-refresh          |  javascript

Comment (by afercia):

 Replying to [comment:50 sabernhardt]:
 > This also seems to require a special case for when the expandable menu
 link navigates to an anchor/section ID.

 > When I clicked the Query Monitor plugin's main link, the dropdown
 expanded and the details section at the bottom expanded as well. Clicking
 again on the admin bar link did not collapse the dropdown. Instead, I
 needed to navigate focus back to that element and use either the space or
 Enter key to collapse the menu.

 Good catch! This seems something specific to Query Monitor. Ideally, focus
 shouldn't be moved and should stay on the clicked top level menu item.

 I tested a couple other plugins that add their own menus to the admin bar
 and they work correctly. Tested "Yoast SEO" and "View Admin As".

 **There's one important thing though:**
 Clicking a menu should close all the other ones :) Tis wasn't a problem in
 the previous patch, as only the "Howdy" menu was changed. Now that they
 open on click, they stay open when clicking other menus, leading to a far
 from ideal situation. See attached screenshot.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48894#comment:55>