[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49329: memory_limit in site health is not really correct, value is taken from wp_raise_memory_limit

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 11 20:25:29 UTC 2020

#49329: memory_limit in site health is not really correct, value is taken from
wp_raise_memory_limit
-----------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  espiat                 |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)           |      Status:  new

Comment (by zodiac1978):

 Replying to [comment:6 Clorith]:
 > As the memory limit for wp-admin may be important to some plugins (that
 do heavy processing in the admin area, and not the front end), it would
 make sense to show both of the values if they were to differ.

 I don't think this is the best way here. I'm on a hoster with 128M PHP
 memory limit. In Site Health it shows at the moment as 256M, because of
 this bug. Unfortunately you can *set* this higher limit without any
 errors, although the available memory is still 128M.

 WordPress tries to set this to 256M, which is okay, because if it is
 available, then we can use 256M in the backend. But we shouldn't shows
 this value as it is not reliable.

 I would recommend to go with the patch from @SergeyBiryukov and use this
 for WP 5.4.

 If we find a way to show a **reliable** way to show the existing memory
 after trying the raise to 256M we could add this in 5.5.

 @Clorith What do you think? Couldn't we better fix this now and iterate
 later?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49329#comment:9>