[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44438: Prevent Admin Bar Items From Wrapping if There's More Items Than the Available Adminbar Width

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 25 17:49:26 UTC 2018

#44438: Prevent Admin Bar Items From Wrapping if There's More Items Than the
Available Adminbar Width
 Reporter:  KZeni                                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new
  screenshots                                    |  administration

Comment (by KZeni):

 Replying to [comment:1 joyously]:
 > It's not exactly usable if you don't know what those items are.
 >
 > I agree that it's not very usable the other way either.
 >
 > The problem is that the admin bar should be for admin items, but plugins
 put other stuff in there. That's why themes (in the .org repo) are not
 allowed to affect the admin bar. Plugins should have some restrictions
 also.

 Saying it's not very usable means the mobile admin bar for WordPress isn't
 very usable since that's just this icons whereas this is the icons in
 addition to having as much of the text shown as possible.

 I don't see how this would be harmful when / if the restriction of plugins
 adding items to the admin bar takes place, and it does make it so the
 admin bar is no longer broken by adding a happy medium between the mobile
 & full admin bar.

 As such, I don't see any reason this shouldn't be moved into the next
 WordPress release... do you? What are the next steps here?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44438#comment:2>