[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44538: WordPress does not offer a way to show WHAT changed when it nags me about a change to the suggested privacy policy text.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 6 15:31:15 UTC 2018

#44538: WordPress does not offer a way to show WHAT changed when it nags me about a
change to the suggested privacy policy text.
 Reporter:  ssokolow      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  4.9.7
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Currently, when WordPress notifies me that the suggested privacy policy
 text has changed, it doesn't provide any indication of WHAT has changed.

 Given that I've customized the text I'm actually using, this makes it
 prohibitively time-consuming to track down what changed (because I'd have
 to download an old WordPress version, copy-paste out the suggested text,
 and then run the two versions through a diff utility manually).

 As a result, I wind up just dismissing the notification and getting on
 with my day. (Not to mention feeling irritated by further confirmation of
 my sense that I spend more time applying updates to WordPress or its
 plugins than actually posting... something I hope to remedy by migrating
 to a static site generator like Jekyll or Pelican.)

 Given that WordPress already has a diff implementation for showing changes
 between revisions of posts, it should offer to apply it to the two
 different versions of the suggested privacy policy, so I can easily know
 whether I need to update my customized version. (Ideally, it should apply
 it between whatever version was current when the privacy policy page was
 last edited and the current version.)